"You know, he was always like a fish out of water around her...poor Lumpers, never mind, I says, plenty more fish in the sea, plenty more."

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Boy



My boy is 8, and he’s already starting to play mind-games with himself, where he’ll sometimes cheer for an outcome that he really doesn’t want. For example, if he’s playing a soccer match, he’ll say, “ I hope our team loses.” It’s just a coping strategy, I know, for taking the edge off any potential disappointments. It’s a slippery slope, that one. He runs the risk of becoming perverse, and if he gets really good at these mind games, he might end up confusing himself and accepting or even going after the wrong things. I know because I’ve done it myself.

Honey, it’s best to know yourself, believe in yourself and follow your heart. Be honest with yourself, always. And whenever you get knocked down, learn what you can, get back up, and keep going after the things that are really important to you.

No comments: